With nothing to lose, I decided to put the pumpkin on the windowsill and see what happened. After several weeks, I was delighted to find the pumpkin turning a lovely bright orange. I kept it as a decorative accent in the kitchen for a while, but never made an attempt to cut into it or eat it.
So, I guess the 2010 pumpkin patch was not a complete failure. I am determined to to better this summer, though. I think I'll devote my currently-fallow lower bed completely to squash and use what I learned last year--use a soaker hose, fertilize often--to hopefully grow at least two, decent-sized pumpkins by Thanksgiving. Maybe my son will even get that homegrown jack-o-lantern this Halloween. You never know.